Collection: James Whitlow
Source: Picture in Photo Album
Scanned by James Whitlow
VERY RARE Photo of First Hoxie Depot
Until recently, our understanding was that there had been two depots in Hoxie.
There are many pictures of the impressive Union Station that was built in 1906 and burned in 1924. There are also many pictures of the brick depot that was built to replace it in 1925, and many people remember it, as it stood until the 1970s before being demolished by the railroad.
James Whitlow acquired this picture (and another of the Boas Hotel) as part of a personal photo album. All the pictures are labeled and are dated as 1901. This picture is labeled as the Depot and you can see the Hoxie sign above the door. This depot is clearly NOT the Union Station. It looks nothing like other pictures we have of that depot, and this picture would pre-date that depot’s construction by five years.
We believe this is the first depot in Hoxie, and is the only photograph of it we have seen to this point. As we learn more about this specific depot, we will post updates.
Early Hoxie Railroad History
Many think that the Iron Mountain railroad was the first to lay tracks through this area, but in fact the Cairo and Fulton railroad had that honor. In 1872, the Cairo and Fulton announced their plans and by 1873 the time table showed Walnut Ridge as a stop between Moark and Texarkana. The St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern, commonly known as the Iron Mountain, first ran through Walnut Ridge and the area that would become Hoxie on April 30, 1874, after their merger with the Cairo and Fulton. This was later the Missouri Pacific, and now the Union Pacific railroad.
The second railroad reached Hoxie in 1883. On March 6, 1883, the St Louis-San Francisco Railway (commonly known as the Frisco) made plans to build a railroad from Springfield, MO to Memphis, TN. By October 20, 1883, the entire 279 mile line from Springfield through Hoxie to Bridge Junction, AR was completed.
The third railroad reached Hoxie in 1896. The Hoxie, Pocahontas & Northern Railway was incorporated in 1892 by R.D Moran of Hoxie; John A. Rhea and J.H. Moran of Walnut Ridge; John T. Gibson of Black Rock; and Wm D. Gentry of Chicago, Illinois. The tracks were run from Hoxie to north of Pocahontas in 1896. The Hoxie, Pocahontas & Northern Railway linked up and changed hands with many other railroads and eventually reached from Hoxie to St Louis as another Frisco route, which tried to compete with the Iron Mountain route to St Louis. This railway is now a paved Walking and Bike Trail from Hoxie to Walnut Ridge.
There would have been no need for this depot prior to the Frisco coming to Hoxie, placing its construction somewhere between 1883 and 1901.