Collection: Jon Walter
Source: 1972 Hoxie High School Annual (50th Anniversary)
Scanned by Jon Walter
First National Bank of Walnut Ridge
In 1912, this was known as the First National Bank of Walnut Ridge. The tellers were Willis Ponder, E. L. Moore, and W. V. McCorkle. The man at the extreme right is unidentified.
Not the Oldest But The Strongest
This was the slogan for First National Bank of Walnut Ridge in a 1910 “The Blade” newspaper, boasting over a Quarter of a Million of live assets.
First National Bank of Walnut Ridge is NOT the same bank as the present-day First National Bank of Lawrence County.
The oldest bank in Lawrence County at the time would have been Lawrence County Bank, which was founded in 1890 in Walnut Ridge with J. M Phelps, President. First National Bank of Walnut Ridge began business on February 2, 1909 after a merger with Bank and Trust Company. First National Bank of Walnut Ridge would get its wish and become a part of the oldest bank in Lawrence County when it merged with Lawrence County Bank on January 1, 1922, which later closed its doors for liquidation on November 5, 1931.
President in 1910 was T. J. Sharum, Vice-President was W. G. McClamroch, Cashier was C. W. White, and Asst. Cashier was Carrick B. White.
We have other postcards of Bank and Trust as well as it successor First National Bank of Walnut Ridge at about this time. Both were located on SE Front Street in what is now being used as Shepherd Care, a non-profit clothing ministry.