Collection: Jeannie Moore Smith
Scanned by James Whitlow
Early Walnut Ridge School District
In 1874, the State of Arkansas established the free public school system and at that time Lawrence County was divided into nineteen school districts with Walnut Ridge being District #19.
The Walnut Ridge High School Building was built during the 1923-24 school year next to the school building that housed all of the grades. This old school building was built in the 1907 time period and before this school building was built, students attended an even earlier public school building which was located closer to East Main Street, at the southeast corner of Southeast Third and Elm (according to the 1904 Sanborn Map).
Dedication of the 1924 Walnut Ridge High School
The following pages are from the 1924 “THE TALE” the Walnut Ridge School Annual of the dedication of the high school. This is the same high school that burned on December 12, 1957