Collection: Norma Jean Smith Shields
Scanned by James Whitlow
Red Star Cafe and Boas Gibson
This picture was from the mid to late 1940’s when Warren Smith, father of Norma Jean Smith Shields, operated the Red Star Cafe.
One of Hoxie’s most popular and favorite eating establishments was the Red Star Cafe. It was in business from the 1930’s to mid 1960’s serving the local people and the traveling public that were using Highway 67 and 63. The location for the Red Star was just south of the present US Post Office where Andersons Auto Sales now sits.
Boas Gibson owned both the Red Star Cafe and the Red Star Service Station, which were side by side on the corner of Highway 67 and Lindsey Street, but leased out the business to others.
Boas Gibson was the son of John S. Gibson and Annie Boas Gibson, who ran the Boas Hotel in Hoxie and also built the Tudor Style home that is still located on the corner of Annie Street and Highway 67. His grandparents were Mr. Henry Boas and Mary Boas, who built the first Boas Hotel in Hoxie in 1883 and who owned the land upon which Hoxie was established.
1988 Centennial of Hoxie
The following was published in a special Centennial Edition of the Times Dispatch in 1988, celebrating the 100th anniversary of Hoxie in 1888.
An eating establishment called the Red Star Cafe was built in the late 1920s, not intended as a cafe, but rather as a potato chip factory. Built by Boas Gibson as a new business of its kind and operated by his wife, it existed only a short time. Otto Wright began the cafe business when hamburgers sold for 10 cents and barbeques were 15 cents. All other foods were sold for similarly low prices. This was at a time when Lawrence County allowed the sale of 3.2 percent beer and it was purchased for 10 and 15 cents a bottle. Landon “Lafe” and Alma Lockhart, Roy “Bones” and Myra Schmidt, and John and Lucille Roberts were some of the proprietors of the small, yet popular eatery.
The Red Star Cafe was in a good location where it attracted crews from the Missouri Pacific Railroad, Highways 67 and 63, who were looking for a good plate lunch selling for 35 cents, 50 cents or a T-bone steak with all the trimmings for a mere 75 cents. Myra Schmidt also remembers packing 18 lunches “to go” after serving breakfast to a crew of men who were rebuilding Highway 63. The largest “one at a time” groups were truckloads of Mexican workers on their way to help harvest fruits in northern states.
The Red Star Cafe was razed to make way for the Delta Station operated by Kenneth Quarry.