Collection: Lesa Walter
Source: Hand Painted China Souvenir Plate
Photo by Jon Walter
Lawrence County Courthouse in Walnut Ridge
This plate depicts the second of three Lawrence County Courthouses in Walnut Ridge. The first courthouse was a 2-story wooden structure built in the 1880s, and located on East Main Street (where the Main Street Church of Christ is now located). In 1900, the second courthouse, depicted on this plate, was built on West Main Street. It was a Romanesque style brick structure with a corner clock tower. It was replaced in 1965 with the third and current courthouse at the same location.
Wheelock China Souvenir Plates
The Wheelock China Company was founded in Wisconsin in 1855 and expanded into Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois. In 1894, the Peoria, Illinois store experienced a major success when they decided to promote regional souvenir plates, steins, and other items. The period between 1898 and 1909 saw an incredible growth in demand for souvenir china throughout the country.
Made in Austria
Mrs Ed Marx
Dry Goods, Shoes, Millinery, and everything to wear.
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
Wheelock was not the manufacturer of these souvenir plates. They imported them from Germany and Austria. This particular plate was made in Vienna, Austria, and is stamped on the back. The procedure was as follows. The scenes or pictures were selected in the area where they were to be sold, usually from postcards. They were then sent to Europe for processing.
We are not certain where Mrs. Marx had her millinery (hat store), but we do know that this plate dates between 1900 and 1909.